You must set the ad_network_ads_405.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Look at my guppy....why isnt she giving birth? [Archive] - Guppies.com

PDA

View Full Version : Look at my guppy....why isnt she giving birth?

red_delta
December 1st-2007, 03:38 PM
:confused: Look at this big,fat guppy with huge gravid spot....she has been the same for 2 weeks now...i put her 5 times in a breeding tank but she isnt giving birth...she has been like that for more than 2 weeks...i bought her 2 weeks ago and she was the same size, everything and she hasnt changed..i thought she would give birth on the next day but 2 weeks are gone and she hasnt changed?!? whats wrong?
Thanks

MADMIKE
December 1st-2007, 06:09 PM
Well each time you move her can and will cause stress.This can cause her to have her fry early or hold them longer.
Do a 20% water change,turn the heat up a few degree,feed often but small amounts.Look the nextmorning for fry.This will help if she is close to ready to have them

red_delta
December 1st-2007, 08:39 PM
20% every day? i fed them today...the temp is around 24oC

MADMIKE
December 2nd-2007, 12:04 AM
Turn the heat up a few degrees more than you run it now.Do a 20% water change.Feed your fish every few hours but just a little bit.This will keep them full.If and only if your female is close,this will help her drop her fry.You can do this for a couple of days.After turn the heat back to were you normally run it.

diablo
December 2nd-2007, 12:19 AM
I have 5 females that have been that huge for at least a month and I don't get nothing either!

ForGuppies
December 2nd-2007, 01:03 AM
To me, she does not look like she is about to give birth. In my opinion based on my experience and having observed pregnant females for long, it looks like she could be delivering in 1 or 2 more weeks. How I detect when is about time? Well, no scientific method, but I oberseve them daily to see if there are changes in the shape of the belly. Most of mine they do look like their skin cannot longer stretch anymore. That's why I know the birth is about to happen in a few hours or 1 or 2 days. It takes some careful observing and patience for you to find your own way of finding out when they are ready to pop. My experience buying pregnant Guppies is finding the one that's literarilly looks like bursting, like she cannot take it any longer. Ussually, she looks more tired and slower than the others. When I buy those, most of the time they give birth the same day or the next. It has happened more than once that they have given birth in the bag in the way to my house, from the pet store to the house. It takes some eye training, that's personal, again no one 100% proven technique. Of course, the stress of handling them in the pst store contributes to birthing right away.

red_delta
December 2nd-2007, 12:59 PM
Well when i feed them...the very pregnant one chases the rest...she wont let them eat and she is swimming very gently and slow...her belly looks rectangular from side view and the spot is very big...she eats all the time and sometimes chases after the others when they are near her...she seems to be always hungry and when i feed them she chases all of the others and not letting them near her...as i said-she is swimming gently and slow and hangs around the plants and surface...I cant wait till she give birth! grrr

Charlene
December 2nd-2007, 01:33 PM
Sounds like she about to drop!

ForGuppies
December 2nd-2007, 06:12 PM
Is that a new behavior for her? Did she act differently before? If so, then you can expect her to give birth soon. But soon does not mean now. It could take a few days, maybe 2 or 3 max.
Sometimes they are very slow giving birth and the birth itself could take days in some cases. I have a yellow girl that birthed for 2 1/2 days. She was slow until I put her by herself in a small tank that I used for shrimps only. Her birth speed up then. I don't tell you that so you put her in another tank, I ussually don't that and I don't like it, but the males were aggressively trying to mate with her and bothered me that she could not birth in peace, so I changed her and that did not affect her a bit because the water of the other tank came from the same tank the female was in.

Bianni
December 4th-2007, 03:30 AM
She looks pretty fat and round to me, but she's not squared off yet, so she's not going to drop right away. Mine can look like they're about to explode for quite a while. They look so fat they waddle when they swim for what seems like forever, but it's not until they have that squared-off look towards the back that I know they're going to drop fry in the next day or two. Then I feed them a couple of bloodworms, do a little waterchange, and suddenly I have more new fry again!

red_delta
December 4th-2007, 10:11 PM
She wont eat any bloodworm...she swims very gently and slow so i put her in a small breeding tank floating on top of my tank...she seemed to hang around the air stone and on the surface gasping for air...she is very fat and you cant see her lungs ( the bubble above her gravid spot ) i can see it clearly on the rest of the females but she has a huge gravid spot and i cant see the lungs and she is gasping for oxygen...the tank is 8 gal and has 6 fish in it ( guppies ) and she is acting strangely...will she die? she doesnt like it in the breeding tank btw and she keeps bumbing in the walls of the small btank...what should i do?
thanks

red_delta
December 4th-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh and also she's got a little bump on her back...like its little pointed on the upper fin or whatever its called...from her gills to her gravid spot end is a rectangular shape...she has been like that for nearly 2 1/2 weeks

red_delta
December 4th-2007, 10:35 PM
ok i have added new pictures if you want to see them look at the start of this page...thanks

MADMIKE
December 4th-2007, 10:57 PM
Do you have a larger picture,say 640x480

red_delta
December 5th-2007, 07:58 PM
Yay!!! Finally she dropped them!!! at first i got back home and i saw them all in the breeding tank...yesterday i thought she is gonna give birth and she was acting strangely and was square and i put her in the breeding tank and when i got back home today,there were 15 frys in there 5 of which had pintails and were deformed and they died...she is giving birth reallllly slow at the moment and there are 5 normal ones in the breeder and 3 eggs and 2 deformed and i spererated the others and i am going to seperate these ones tommorow or tonight...i am so excited i have about 20 frys alltogether now!!!
Thanks guys for all your help and if i have any other problems i will post a thread thanks!!!

MADMIKE
December 5th-2007, 10:34 PM
Congrats on your new fry,enjoy

kimo
December 6th-2007, 07:51 AM
Best way is to NOT move a pregnant female. Use plenty of floating plants to give the fry cover. Move the fry, not the female. You will avoid deformed and dead fry at birth and will avoid damaging an otherwise healthy female.

red_delta
December 7th-2007, 11:16 PM
She kept giving birth after i thought she finished and i ended up with 40+ fry...i had to use another tank to seperate the fry...

thanks for your help

Everlasting_Guppy
December 8th-2007, 12:33 AM
Congratulations on your new fry! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)

red_delta
December 12th-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeh they are 1 week old now and still very small...i feed them first bites and have 2 more pregnant guppies...they will give birth in about 2-3 weeks

Sanda
December 15th-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats...40+ is a lot! You are very lucky indeed.
Keep up the water changes and hopefully you'll see some more babies in the comming weeks:p

cobrablackx3
December 16th-2007, 10:02 PM
All they need is time...Remember, the gestation period can be up to 40 days! Also, she will only drop the fry if all conditions are right.