You must set the ad_network_ads_405.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Why do Guppies only stay at the surface? [Archive] - Guppies.com

PDA

View Full Version : Why do Guppies only stay at the surface?

KeyLink56
June 5th-2004, 01:39 AM
I have 2 guppies, but they are always staying at the surface of the water. I have only seen them once go down for a couple of seconds, only to go back up again.

The temperature is 78-80 and the water is fine. I have the filter running on low and I also have an air pump in the tank.

What could be wrong with them?

Fokiat
June 5th-2004, 02:10 AM
they dont only stay at the surface mine swim all over including the bottom of the tank

KeyLink56
June 5th-2004, 02:33 AM
So that means there must be something wrong with mine.

What should I do?????:(

kimo
June 13th-2004, 04:09 AM
the less you mess with the water the better off you'll be.
ph anywhere between 4.5 and 8.0. temps 62 to 90. NO heaters - room temps ok.

A breeder who is just getting back into it using 1 gallon peanut jars for tanks!

kimo
June 13th-2004, 04:20 AM
remember: At 20 C there is 3.1 cubic inches of oxygen per cubic foot of water. At 30 C, there is only 1.3 cubic inches of oxygen per cubic foot of water. A huge difference when figuring out the total load/# of fish per tank and one of the main reasons why fish die when it gets hot out.

Meekel
June 14th-2004, 06:34 AM
Kimp has a really good suggestion on this, heat does play a great deal into how how much o2 is in the water. to see if this maybe a factor see if the guppies are "gasping" for air opening and closeing there mouths a lot.

Kittycat
June 18th-2004, 02:16 PM
Would it help to increase aeration, e.g. add an airstone? I'm from the Philippines, and it's really hot around this time, the tank can get as high as 90 degrees. I have 1 male and 4 females in a 10 gallon tank, and 2 other females in a 2.5 tank (waiting for one to give birth, and the other is there to keep her company).

Kitty

Meekel
June 18th-2004, 10:07 PM
and airstone wouldn't hurt, it used to get real hot in my tank befor ei got airconditioning in the summer, i used to put ice in the tank just a few pieces if i was at home to bring down the temp a degree or too

Triskale
June 25th-2004, 05:58 AM
Usually if I notice my fish hovering near the top I check my PH,amonia,Nitrate,nitrite levels....usually I find that one of those levels are a little off.

EZ--NOT
June 25th-2004, 06:28 AM
Would it help to increase aeration, e.g. add an airstone? I'm from the Philippines, and it's really hot around this time, the tank can get as high as 90 degrees. I have 1 male and 4 females in a 10 gallon tank, and 2 other females in a 2.5 tank (waiting for one to give birth, and the other is there to keep her company).

Kitty

My females use to hover at the top until I got an air stone and LOWERED the temp in my tank. You might want to see if you can lower the temp so they are comfortable, I know that 82 is nice for the females if they are pregnant, but any thing higher then that has got to be hard on them. You can lower the temp but putting straight ice cubes in it for fast cool down but I have heard that others use a plastic jug or container that has a lid on it, filling it up with water, freezing it and then putting the whole container into the tank and then keeping an eye on the temp. Might want to try both of those to see if it helps your water breathing friends!

Kittycat
June 25th-2004, 03:27 PM
My females use to hover at the top until I got an air stone and LOWERED the temp in my tank. You might want to see if you can lower the temp so they are comfortable, I know that 82 is nice for the females if they are pregnant, but any thing higher then that has got to be hard on them. You can lower the temp but putting straight ice cubes in it for fast cool down but I have heard that others use a plastic jug or container that has a lid on it, filling it up with water, freezing it and then putting the whole container into the tank and then keeping an eye on the temp. Might want to try both of those to see if it helps your water breathing friends!

Thanks! :) Thank God the weather is cooling a bit as we're starting to have rains occasionally.

EZ--NOT
June 25th-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks! :) Thank God the weather is cooling a bit as we're starting to have rains occasionally.

I don't know much, just passing along what I have done and that has worked for me.

About cooling the tank, I have surfed the net trying to find the answer and have read other posts here and what they have done. I live in Portland, Oregon so don't have to worry about the HOT WEATHER. We did have a couple of day in the high 80's but now we are back to having cloudy weather, with NO rain as yet, but knowing Portland, it's coming, LOL!! I think that anyone that lives here is part Duck :p and if they aren't they soon become one :p , LOL!!

Hope water breathing friends are doing better!! :)

kimo
July 7th-2004, 09:31 AM
I have 2 guppies, but they are always staying at the surface of the water. I have only seen them once go down for a couple of seconds, only to go back up again.

The temperature is 78-80 and the water is fine. I have the filter running on low and I also have an air pump in the tank.

What could be wrong with them?

Guppies by nature are top feeders. That doesn't mean they won't feed at all levels. It's much less work for a guppy to stay near the surface.

GreenCobra
July 8th-2004, 06:05 AM
Just from passed experiance in raising plattys and swords. Never cool your water too rapidly can shock fish. Also heating and cooling water in cycles can create a parasite problem you don't want. I just started with guppies only have 12 in my 50gal tank right now. If your guppie is staying at the top see if it shimmies (constant wiggle) if so it may be stress maybe from water conditions or from larger or more aggresive fish in tank. Sometimes because they are sick if it is only one. If all are doing it more than likely it's water.
Hope this helps. GreenCobra
www.ourfishies.net (http://www.ourfishie.net)