You must set the ad_network_ads_405.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
decap brine shrimp [Archive] - Guppies.com

PDA

View Full Version : decap brine shrimp

j30167
February 3rd-2010, 11:26 AM
I ordered decap brine shrimp from Kens, I read the directions it said to rehydrate in water for a few mins, I noticed alot of them just sank to the bottom of the glass. I stired them up a few times but most sank. Do you feed the ones that sank or just the ones that stayed suspended. This is my first time trying them not sure

jeff@zina.com
February 3rd-2010, 02:34 PM
Feed them all. Assuming there's a current in the tank, they usually stay suspended pretty well. Make sure you use a very small amount, they go a long way.

Jeff

BostonBreeder
February 3rd-2010, 05:03 PM
It really isn't necessary to rehydrate them. Even my fry gobble them right up. I am surprized more people on here aren't talking about these (and Golden Pearls) more. It is so much easier than BBS and makes them grow just as fast. One thing though. I always feed flake a few minutes before. These eggs will run right through them otherwise.

copper
February 3rd-2010, 05:30 PM
Boston breeder, I agree with you , golden pearls and decap brine shrimp ,are great fish foods, but there is NOTHING that matches newly hatched brine shrimp. I will tell you why, there is something in the way that newly hatched brine shrimp swim that ignites a predator instinct in baby guppies. This instinct is so strong , that they have to attack the baby brine shrimp , and they will consume baby brine shrimp even when they are not hungry. It will entice them to the point they will gorge themselves. I too feed flake food just before I feed them baby brine shrimp and even though they just ate they will stuff themselves and fill up on baby brine shrimp. I only do this with young fish ,you do not want grown male guppies to overeat.

cheyanneglenn
February 4th-2010, 03:31 PM
i have a question i'm starting my tank today. I've done alot of research and i'm still curious if you feed your guppies live food are they more prone to eating their young because they are use to the chase? I'm try to raise them together in a tank (going to try) I've bought the java moss and stuff nut i'd like to feed them live food but afraid for the fry any suggestions??????

stratocastamasta
February 4th-2010, 04:10 PM
It is a natural instinct for all fish to eat smaller moving things that fit in their mouth.Be it an insect,baby fish or a brine shrimp.I don't believe that not feeding them live food will condition them not to eat fry.As far as cover for fry goes I am starting to have mixed feelings.I have put females in a 2 1/2 with plenty of plants and while the fry do get to hide the females dart at them as soon as they come out of cover and often catch them.Maybe even more so then if there had been no place to hide.A couple weeks ago I had a female ready to drop but all my drop tanks were full.Last time she dropped she ate almost all her fry.So I put her in a 15 gallon I had set up bare with nothing but a box filter inside.I got about thirty fry and she seemed not to chase them as much. If one came close she would chase a short distance and then stop as the fry darted to the other side of the tank.

BostonBreeder
February 4th-2010, 07:27 PM
i have a question i'm starting my tank today. I've done alot of research and i'm still curious if you feed your guppies live food are they more prone to eating their young because they are use to the chase? I'm try to raise them together in a tank (going to try) I've bought the java moss and stuff nut i'd like to feed them live food but afraid for the fry any suggestions??????

Actually if there is a ready supply of live food they are less likely to eat the fry.

My observations about the shrimp eggs is that they tend to eat them until they are all gone. The eggs are also more nutritious than live bbs. If you do hatch your own make sure you use decapsulated eggs or do it yourself.

Audrey
February 6th-2010, 08:59 AM
I LOVE the decap. brine shrimp! I could never get it right for hatching brine shrimp.

Charlene
February 7th-2010, 05:04 AM
What are decap brine shrimps? I know what brine shrimps are, but not decap shrimps.

BostonBreeder
February 7th-2010, 03:54 PM
What are decap brine shrimps? I know what brine shrimps are, but not decap shrimps.

There are two types. Hatching and Non Hatching. The eggs are soaked in bleach to remove the hard outer shell leaving the shrimp encased in a thin membrane. This accomplishes two things. It cuts down on fry mortality by killing diseases carried by the eggs. (Brine shrimp eggs are found in very unsanitary conditions.) And it makes the BBS more nutritious because the shrimp expends less energy during the hatching process. The non hatching variety are dehydrated and can be fed to the fish directly as food. These contain more nutients than live BBS because the nutrients have not have not been burned off by the energy needed to hatch. Some breeders decap them themselves others buy them already decapsulated. You can get them from either KensFish.com or BrineShrimpDirect.com.

i2iceboi
February 8th-2010, 09:51 PM
Made the switch to decap brine shrimps 5 months ago its a gift sent from god lol. Its way less maintenance than hatching and less bacteria blooms in my tanks just as much growth as hatched.

True though on the feeding habits of fry they tend to eat more when they chase the hatched ones.

decap that are hatchable tend to have a low hatch rate.

MADMIKE
February 9th-2010, 03:12 AM
Never had a problem with fry finding the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

BostonBreeder
February 9th-2010, 04:56 AM
Interesting side note. I got my last batch from BrineShrimpDirect.com and they sent me a test tube with a free sample of "Artema Substitute". I am going to test it out on my next drop to see how it compares to the real thing.

MADMIKE
February 10th-2010, 03:15 AM
if you want to try a substitute for the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs,try Better than Brine.You can get it on aquabid.com.I also use this.