You must set the ad_network_ads_405.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Disappearing reappearing dark spots on guppy [Archive] - Guppies.com

PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing reappearing dark spots on guppy

shekinah
May 27th-2005, 06:48 PM
I have a male guppy (still pretty much a baby) who has two dark spots near the back on the side of the belly. They are ink black and appear and disappear at random. If they would just stay I would say that it was the colouring of the fish. Other than these spots, the fish is acting/eating/behaving normal. Any ideas?

twoluvcats
May 27th-2005, 06:57 PM
is his clear-ish...could be buildup of poo in the digestive tract...explaining why it comes and goes.

or...are you sure he's male?...could be a gravid spot

shekinah
May 27th-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes, it's a male. Of that I'm pretty sure. Makes sense about the digestive thing although the spots just appeared this past week. I've been keeping a close eye on it but thus far it hasn't affected the behavior or appetite of the fish.

twoluvcats
May 27th-2005, 07:19 PM
i know super young guppies poo so often that nothing really has time to 'buildup'...but as they get older they don't poo as much, so that 'might' be why you are just seeing it now...how old is he?

MADMIKE
May 27th-2005, 07:20 PM
He could still be changing his colors,in some males there colors will change almost daily

tempestsecho
May 28th-2005, 02:33 AM
One of my males has that too! It looks like it's on his skin, not internal, right?
His comes and goes, or fades a bit. He seems as normal/happy as the other fish, so I haven't worried about it. :)

shekinah
May 28th-2005, 05:17 AM
Yes, Tempestsecho, it looks like it is just on his skin and not internal. Like your guy, mine is happy as well. I'm not terribly sure how old he is. He is the same size as one of my other guppies I got from a breeder friend. My other guppy is about 2 or 3 months. My 'spotted' male I got from the pet store and he was in with the feeder guppies. (Why he was in there I have no idea because I saw potential beauty in him which is starting to show more and more- I know, totally off topic). But anyway, I will continue to keep an eye on him. So far so good. I'll keep ya'll updated if there are any dramatic changes. Thanks for the info. :)

guppygrrl
May 28th-2005, 05:59 AM
i used to have a lyretail guppy that had one of those vanishing black spots on either side of his body. sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasnt. i think that a lot of guppies have this, and it seems to coincide with what ever mood he is in, like if he was chasing a female or if he was in feeding frenzy, or sleepy or whatever. i think that your guppy will be just fine. :D i think that guppies with spots like that are so pretty! definately something different and beautiful!

MADMIKE
May 28th-2005, 07:28 PM
Color Changes—It is normal for a fish to change colors. They will fade to blend in to a dark background and will often fade at night or when they are under stress, though some fish turn almost black when they are under stress. Colors often intensify at feeding time, or when a fish is breeding or fighting. A brightly colored fish may lose its color over time if the diet is inappropriate. Things to worry about are patches of dark or light coloration (though stress coloration is also a worry if it is prolonged because stress makes the fish susceptible to infections).
Some strains of guppies do not fully devolop there colors until they are about 6 month old and they will change all the time.

shekinah
May 29th-2005, 04:20 AM
I was in the pet store tonight and saw a whole smack of guppy babies with similar colouring to mine with the same type of spots. (I got mine from a different pet store though). The spots aren't in the same spot on these fish but they are the same colour and size.

shekinah
May 29th-2005, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all the info! :) Appreciate it!

shekinah
June 7th-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just an update. I was talking to one of my friends who's a guppy breeder and she said that those spots were a type of disease. It won't kill the fish but it is a disease none the less. A couple more of my guppies are displaying those spots now although there isn't any change in their behavior or appetite. I will try to find out the name of the disease. If anyone else has heard of this please let me know. :o

MADMIKE
June 7th-2005, 11:19 PM
Black spots (diplopstomiasis) Small black speckles on body.

shekinah
June 9th-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks so much MADMIKE. I'll be looking it up. :)

Everlasting_Guppy
June 9th-2005, 02:39 AM
"Black Spot
Symptoms: Small black specks on the body.
Treatment: Black spot is generally easy to cure. There are a number of commercially available treatments and preventatives.

Information: Black Spot, or diplopstomiasis, often follows the addition of new aquarium fish. All fish are susceptible, especially the Silver Dollar and Piranha. It is fairly easy to diagnose and treat." - http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html