Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you run out of fish food..

Blog Entries

When you run out of fish food..

Obviously none of you have run out of fish food but I did once! It's an hour drive to the nearest pet store and I'm not about to run out to get one item that cost under two dollars and spend over $2.50 for gas to get it! So while I made up a list of needed items to purchase over the next week - to justify a trip to the pet store, I soaked my dry dog food in water until soft and mushed it up and gave little portions at a time to make sure that it got eaten and the guppies loved it! It was great as an emergency fish food. Since then I soak their crunchy Tetra-min granules until mushy and use some bunt-end treezers to feed the mushy fish food a little at a time. I don't ever think I'll give them the crunchy stuff dry again!

I am not sure if I would of used dog food, not sure if it is safe or not for them. If I ever run out of food I would look up the egg yolk thing I have seen peeps use around here.

Don't think I will ever run out of food. I currently use 11 different assorted flake/pellet food, 4 types of frozen food, baby brine shrimp and very soon microworms. If I didn't buy another thing of food I will be good for at least a year and a half before I run out. lol
    Follow Blooper's progress on is DIY fish wall by clicking the link below.

THE FISH WALL

Click link above to view mega amounts of progress pictures.

All 8 tanks are now moved over and running. Pictures galore of the step by step set up. Sorry if it seems like bragging but I am very happy on how this is turning out.

I wouldn't feed my fish dog food but it hasnt done any harm to your fish so far has it?

I use flake, microworms and frozen stuff.

I'd recommend you getting some microworms... they're never ending!!!

Chris
    You Just Gotta Luv Em

Blog Entries
    We feed our dogs Iams Rice and Lamb because one of our dogs is allergic to wheat and it's an all natural dog food. I ran out of fish food in Septemeber because I started out with just two pairs of fancy guppies in April and bought a tiny container of tropical fish food, but those guppies had young every month and I just didn't realize how much food I had used. I did mix some of the last of the fish food with the first chunk of soaked dog food, so as not to totally change the food all at once. I eventually did buy three types of food the next time we went to the pet store, and have been feeding them egg yoke too - which they truely love. I shouldn't have to go to the pet store for the rest of the winter now - (so I won't be tempted to buy another tank!)

Blog Entries
    " (so I won't be tempted to buy another tank!)"
    I wonder how many times I have heared that in the last year
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

Dog food is sometimes fed to fish in hatcheries. I cant really think of any reason that you shouldnt use it especially in a pinch.

its the opposite for me, my dog seaks out the flake food and loves it
    Please Enter Your Guppy In The Guppy Of The Month Thread!

same for my cats they aways finds my fish food so they knock it off the counter and let my dogs open it
    R.I.P. steve you we're a great man

Quote Originally Posted by MADMIKE
    " (so I won't be tempted to buy another tank!)"
    I wonder how many times I have heared that in the last year

I've said that 4 times this yr already.........Hmmmm, I'll prob. say that again next yr to.
    Thanks goes to Scott473 for Sig, Picture.

Blog Entries

Mts

When I was a teen and well into my twenties I had MTS really bad - wall to wall tanks and even did some guppy breeding in 40 gallon plastic trash cans! I'm now pushing 60 and I'm really trying hard not to get back into the MTS obsession! However, I can see that if I'm going to rescue pond fish from time to time - I will need a much bigger tank for the goldfish because it now looks like two of my 4" comets are thinking about breeding! Maybe I can get my son to take the goldfish for the winter to put in his 55 gallon before I buy another tank? But I'm really getting attached to these two white goldfish because they take food from my fingers! I don't want to give them away and miss watching those babies grow up if they do breed - Darn! I can see where this going! My son-in-law feeds goldfish to his monster eel like fish that is so big it could swallow the 4" white comets in one bite and that monster fish even plays with a tennis ball in-between eating goldfish! So I don't want to give these goldfish to him after rescuing them from the draining pond! But he has lots of unused fish tanks in his basement - hummmmmmmm?