Thread: How can I make my fry grow fast?

How can I make my fry grow fast?

is there anything I can feed or do to make my guppys grow quicker?

Food: better quality, more quantity, more often, variety
    Temp: Higher temps grow faster than lower
    Water Quality: Pristine, frequent water changes and never overstock the fry tank. The more room they have, the faster they'll grow.

Also (I have been told) that if you separate males from females as soon as their sex is obvious then they will grow even faster, something to do with hormones, but this was just something I was told by a breeder.
    1-20L baby ABN
    1-20XH Angels
    1-10 mutt guppies and RCS
    1-75 community tank
    1-29 breeder ABN and RCS
    1-55 picking it up today!
    1-1.5 my daughter's betta... swimmy!

Quote Originally Posted by hollyszoo View Post
    Also (I have been told) that if you separate males from females as soon as their sex is obvious then they will grow even faster, something to do with hormones, but this was just something I was told by a breeder.
    I notice this as well, heck even my gf noticed that my males are starting to develop their colors faster after I moved them to a separate (and 4x bigger) tank. The females seem to get bigger as well, now that there's only 8 of them on my 10g.

I was inclined to theorize that planted tanks might help, but the tank where my fry were have been planted for over a month now, so that might not be a factor....I will probably experiment on the future (same batch of fry - half the males on a planted tank, half the males on a bare bottom tank)

is it possible that they are growing faster because thjey have more room? rather than just because they are all males?
    my tanks :
    1 55 gallon planted with every fish i own in it

Elite Breeder Leader

we will post when the site is ready
    please join http://z11.invisionfree.com/elitebre...ex.php?act=idx

I think that is a big part of it.
    Last edited by stratocastamasta; March 13th-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    After the sixth week, more and more energy is devoted to sexual activity. Since female guppies can have their first drop a couple of months after birth, their food energy may be diverted to egg production and providing some nutrition to her fry. As such, breeders usually keep males and females separately to maximize the growth of the guppy.

Growth rate is also affected by the temperature of the tank. Higher temperatures speed up guppy metabolism. However, guppies raised in high temperatures and fed aggressively will have shorter lives.
    At about six week, the fins start to grow, diverting energy once again from body growth. Therefore, it is important to concentrate on the first month where most growth are exclusive to the guppy size before the energy starts to divert in other directions.
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

I find that feeding the fry often with live baby brine shrimp results in much bigger overall growth as does seperating the males and females as soon as you can possibly do so allowing the females to get some size before breeding.