Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guppy mouth stuck open

guppy mouth stuck open

I have a male guppy whose mouth seems to be stuck open since yesterday. I can some movement in the mouth but its not completly able to close shut. He typically comes forward during feedings and such but now just seems to be swimming constantl y. He also hangs out more than ever near the filter outlet as if trying to get some water into his mouth. During feedings, he goes near the food, but is unable to gulp them. My water tests fine with ammonia and nitrites being 0 and nitrates being 15. I also made a water change today just in case. Can anyone tell me what to do in order to get him back to himself as I feel really sorry for him in this state. Thanks in advance.

Mods: I dont know if i should post this in the diseases section as its not really a disease but feel free to move it,

i had the same problem with one of my babies too...seemed like he was missing the bottom lip

the thing is he was fine till about two days ago. My guess is that he is probably choked, anyone have any ideas as to how to "unchoke" him. lol

I have had this happen to one of my males. He got hold of an unusually large sized pellet and it was stuck. Took a day but it eventually dissolved and he was fine.
    Good luck-
    GOT COLUMNARIS? HYDROGEN PEROXYIDE SAVES LIVES! *<-read this and that->*
    Want to find out more about Flexibacter columnaris? Click here!
    Any Questions? Comments? Concerns? Need Help? Feel free to PM or E-MAIL me, or any other mod/admin!
    Hey Katie: I hope you all know, it is my life goal to make this website www.guppiesPWNcichlids.com
    I love my quaker parrots, cockatiel, parakeet, longhaired chis, and fish... but my favorite animal will always be my Homo sapien Sherief !

Blog Entries
    Check the mouth area and look to see if you can see Yellow/brown/white in or around the mouth,also the gills.If yes then read up on Columnaris infection
    Good luck with your fish
    I would move him to a hospital tank now thu
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

thanks for your replies. Upon closer inspection, i was unable to see what was inside his mouth(he's so small). However I did notice some white stuff which I thought was mouth columnaris. So I've isolated him and started him on a course of copper sulfate + pimafix + salt. Is there anything else i should be doing.

Might I suggest one of those (DIP) remedies for the suspected parasite?
    some water potions may take DAYS; Wheras a dip "until he's nearly smoked" LOL Or at best just about coughing / might disable the parasite enough to give you a jump start; overwhelming any potentially meds. resistant causative agent..

Quote Originally Posted by greatfish View Post
    thanks for your replies. Upon closer inspection, i was unable to see what was inside his mouth(he's so small). However I did notice some white stuff which I thought was mouth columnaris. So I've isolated him and started him on a course of copper sulfate + pimafix + salt. Is there anything else i should be doing.
    Hm, never even considered that but it would make sense.
    Pimafix is for fungal and will be uneffective. If you are treating with meds, I would suggest a mix of several meds (tetracycline, m1, m2 etc)
    Furnase by API is specifically geared towards chronnodroccus columnaris (bacterial FC infection of the mouth)
    Any Questions? Comments? Concerns? Need Help? Feel free to PM or E-MAIL me, or any other mod/admin!
    Hey Katie: I hope you all know, it is my life goal to make this website www.guppiesPWNcichlids.com
    I love my quaker parrots, cockatiel, parakeet, longhaired chis, and fish... but my favorite animal will always be my Homo sapien Sherief !

i tried looking for the furnase product by API but could not find it. Did you mean Furan 2. Thanks

No problem!
    Furnase is its name.
    Furan does something different, I wanna say its an antifungal but I could be totally wrong...
    Try online; it comes in a yellow/orange-y package.