Thread: Inbreeding

Inbreeding

This never occurred to me ..
    Is it ok for guppies to inbreed with each other, e.g. a mom breeding with her son or a father breeding with his daughter?
    Because I have a community tank where I keep all the guppies together.
    I tried searching in the forum about inbreeding, but I didn't find anything.

i dont think it would matter
    Thank you,
    Rion
    1x 10gal Breeding tank
    1x 10gal Fry tank
    3x 2.25gal birthing tanks
    www.freewebs.com/rionsaquariumfish/

Nope with guppies inbreeding is the norm. An outcross every few generations with a related strain is recommended too for strength.
    Gotta Luv the Guppies!

Father to daughter or son to Mom is called a back cross.It is done often.
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

Ok. Just making sure. Because if it were done to other animals, would just isolate the weak genes. I guess not the case with guppies.

Inbreeding isolates all sorts of genes, good and bad alike. A good breeder tries to isolate the strong genes too. It just depends on your ability to identify those genes and cull the bad ones out. The reason inbreeding has gotten a bad name is because it comes at a price. If you inbreed, you're certain to get some mixes of very bad genes. With guppies, it's not really a problem, you just feed them to the bala shark. With people, of course, it's heartwrenching and depressing because a sentient, feeling person has to live with the results.

Even with puppies and kittens, most people (thankfully) aren't willing to euthanize a pet with defects, and so inbreeding gets a bad rep. In the case of guppies, it's less emotional to keep the good ones and find an appropriate, natural way to deal with the ones with weak genes.

If you have a soft spot for all life and feeding your extra guppies to other fish makes you sad, you might want to consider not inbreeding. However, that, too, comes at a cost. You will have a difficult time isolating specific genes and carrying them along in your lines. That means more generations of fish to get what you're trying to acheive, and more unwanted fish that don't meet your specifications, again, leading to a problem with what to do with those excess fish.
    40 gallon: Male Guppies, BN pleco, heavily planted display tank
    10 gallon: Female Guppies
    10 gallon partitioned into 3 gallon sections: fry/breeders
    10 gallon: cull grow out tank.

5 gallon: Red Cherry Shrimp/guppy fry
    Set of 4 tanks, 5 gallons each, partitioned into 2.5 gallon sections: Guppy fry, breeding pairs
    29 gallon: Things that eat all of the above

Between all these tanks, I have 16 separate areas to partition my fish into.... You'd think that'd be enough, but I keep managing to find ways to want more!

I understand that inbreeding is done to isolate, preferably, the good genes.
    But at the same time when inbreeding is done, unfortunately some of the bad genes can be isolated, too.
    I was just wondering why it's done more frequently with fish.
    I understand what you're saying: we're not as attached to fish as we would be to more social animals.

allright, I become more happy after reading explanation above, just want to breed and develop guppy fish again, with 7 aquarium and want to make 2 family to keep selective breed and not inbreeding, but i find that is very difficult to maintain and not practical, thanks, now i will run my aquarium breeding like Sparta, only the most beauty and the strongest, will always become My pet.