Thread: How to market and sell guppies

How to market and sell guppies

What methods do you use to get buyers for some of your extra guppies? And has anyone had luck selling to petco or petsmart and if so how do u approach it?

Petsmart is a no go. The smaller local shops will buy them gladly...usually...unless they are overloaded on guppies. They like yours rather than paying shipping. Be reputable when you do it..always take good healthy fish there. You can donate bad ones for feeders to the shop. Also it is nice to toss in a couple of free ones to help compensate for any that do not transition to the stores tank. Ask the store owner when the store is quiet and others are not around. I also take the guppies in.. concealed in the paper small bag and I try to do it on a Monday morning after opening when its quiet and likely no one is in there. Home bred guppies are great! Good luck keep us posted! Selling the first guppy is great!
    Gotta Luv the Guppies!

I call ahead to see if he wants them.

Well Petco and Petsmart are corporations and whenever they take fish they'll have to write it off or something, the last time I took a few large fancy goldfish to a local Petco they wanted me to PAY them to donate my fish. Screw them. A locally-owned fish shop will usually give you cash for your fish and you can bargain with them too.

You can also tell your friends that you have good fish and put up advertisement at your local fish shops. Word of mouth works and you won't need to deal with fees of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntrock10schaul View Post
    What methods do you use to get buyers for some of your extra guppies?
    The LFS usually will take them in trade for products or store credit. I grow them out so they're 4 months or so and decent size. Only selects go to them, don't want a rep as having poor stock.

My LFS will tell buyers that the fish are locally raised and sell them at a slight discount, but they rarely have an issue selling them.

Also can do Aquabid if you're willing to ship, other online sales and so on. Gets to be a pain with multiple customers instead of one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntrock10schaul View Post
    And has anyone had luck selling to petco or petsmart and if so how do u approach it?
    Several have. First you need to be able to reliably supply several thousand fish a week and ship to multiple stores at a cost that just barely covers your shipping and labor. If you're not raising several hundred thousand fish you're not in the league to approach them.

You MIGHT be able to supply an importer or wholesaler if you have special strains or lines that are rarely available. But you better live in Tampa, Miami, Los Angeles, San Franciso or New York City if you want to try.

Small local shops are the way to go, or post a note at petco, ours has a board for selling or giving away , fish ,birds, cats dogs , rats you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by sassyguppie View Post
    Small local shops are the way to go, or post a note at petco, ours has a board for selling or giving away , fish ,birds, cats dogs , rats you name it.

Never knew Petco had a board!
    Gotta Luv the Guppies!

You could post on craigslist for a small rehoming fee.

I posted for $1 each, and got three "bites"

That's twice what I would have gotten from the LFS

you could also try the local newspaper. when you list them only tell the newspaper that you only have 12 so that way your add could be free. then you have to field calls and no shows. but sometimes someone will call and show up and buy all of them it has happened. I had done that in the past, it works.
    Strains: Snakeskins- 1/2 Blacks - Full black , Plecos, cories
    I also breed Angelfish Silvers- Blacks-Golds