+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with 1st fish

Unregistered Guest

Wink Help with 1st fish

We just got talked into taking in a guppy from my daughter's school. We were told it would come with instruction sheet and it came with nothing. We got a glass bowl-1gallon. I saw where 25% of water needs to be replaced weekly and I don't know how to do this. We don't have a filter system. I don't know if the fish will be ok in this setup or not. We treated the water with water conditioner and put the fish in. I was just wondering if anyone can let me know about how to filter out the water each week. We are not going to be big fish owners and have no room for a big tank. Will the bowl work with just one guppy? Thanks for any help you can give!

you don't have to filter the water out. Just scoop some out with a cup or bucket depending on how big your container is. Or yuo can use a siphon that they sell at the pet stores.

This is the Guppy Care Sheet that I made up for my customers. Some of it doesn't apply but it should give you something to go by. The bowl is fine. Your Guppy might be kind of lonely though. They like to be in groups. So once your bowl is cycled, you could add 1 more perhaps. I would suggest a small sponge filter and an air pump as that will help keep the water moving, and improve the water quality.

Guppy Care Sheet

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope they do very well for you and provide you with years of enjoyment. Please read the following care sheet to ensure that you give your new Guppies the best start possible.

Taking your fish home –
    Your fish are double bagged with a water additive called Bag Buddies. This product gives the fish oxygen, and keeps them calm and safe for their ride home. It also makes the water blue. It does not keep the water temperature stable however so please be very careful not to let your new fish get too hot or cold. They should be kept as close to 75 as you can. 70-80 degrees is good. Keep them out of direct sunlight.

When you arrive home –
    If you already have an established tank, you will not have as much work to do, unless you wish to quarantine the fish before introducing them into your community (a good idea from any source). You will need a clean container free of any soaps or bleach. Large jars work well for temporary homes, as do food storage containers, and small plastic totes. Again make sure these have been thoroughly rinsed if there has been soap used on them! The next thing you need is safe water. If you have city water you will need to add a dechlorinating product such as Aquasafe to remove harmful chemicals. If you have a well, you probably do not need it but I use it anyway as it has other benefits. Do not use any product that removes ammonia! You need ammonia to get the bacteria cycle going properly. More on this later. An air supply or filter is also a good idea though you can get by with not having one right away. I highly suggest them. I use sponge filters in my Guppy tanks, that are powered by air pumps. These are safe for fry should you decide to try to raise more Guppies.

After you have a safe environment for your fish, carefully pour the bag out into a net, and then release the fish into the tank. Do NOT pour the bag into the tank.

Do not feed your fish for the first day. Let them settle in first. I use Hikari Guppy food(available at most pet stores), as well as Kensfish Premium Guppy flake (available at kensfish.com).

After the first day –
    If you have a brand new tank that has not gone through the nitrogen cycle yet, you will need to do 25% water changes every day or two for the first couple weeks to keep dangerous ammonia and nitrites from building up while the good bacteria develop in your tank. If you have another tank that is cycled, you can use some of the gravel, or filter media, or even some water from it to help get things going more quickly. It is advisable to have a test kit for Ammonia and Nitrites, especially if you are new to the cycle process. There is a lot of info available online about this as well.

Feed sparingly for the first few weeks. They will not starve, and this will help prevent rapid spikes in ammonia or nitrites. If at any point the fish seem stressed, swimming with clamped fins, shimmying, or hovering at the top or bottom, do a water change. You can change up to 50% without disrupting the cycle process. If the Nitrites or ammonia are high, do a 50% change every other day for a while, and then taper back down to 20% and lengthen the time between changes.

Once the fish are settled and tank is cycled –
    You will probably have fry born approx every 30-40 days. If you go to great lengths to keep them safe, or just let nature take it’s course is up to you. If you wish to try to save some or most of the fry, I suggest adding lots of plastic plants. The fry will hide in them and be safe. If you use a box breeder that you see in pet stores, these can stress the females to death, or cause her to abort her fry.
    Last edited by Sabinoesque; May 18th-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    *Jen*
    SE Michigan Guppy Addict
    Leopard/Tiger Endlers - Blue Grass Extended Dorsal Ribbon fin
    Check out my Aquabid.com auctions
    Visit my Guppy Blog! http://rainbow-fishes.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Also get some amQuel+ water conditioner.This will help your guppie threw the cycling.You can use a piece of air line to vacuum the bottm of the tank.Watch how much you feed.1 guppy does not eat very much.
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

I think inthat size bowl overfeeding will be a big concern Id only put in 1-2 smaller flakes or pellets, if you find food on the bottom then you are over feeding it.

I have a brother who has kept 2 guppies in a 1 gallon bowl for several months now. Both are thriving. I remove about a quarter (if not a bit more considering how small it is) of the water once a week. There is no aeration. No filter. Nada. We just started with one and put it in dechlorinated tap water and then eventually he got himself a 2nd one after a few weeks went by with no trouble. My other brother has a guppy in the same kind of 1 gallon bowl with a tetra. (I would not recommend this because tetras can be nippy, but so far we have been lucky and it has not fin nipped the guppy) But my brother HAD to have the tetra.

Anyway, point is they can do okay in a bowl (from my limited experience)

Edit: I use a 12ml syringe and attach it to extra airline tubing and syphon the crud out the bowls and usually when the poo is done being sucked into a bucket I have already done a 25% water change. I just add the dechlorinated water I set out the night before to the bowl.
    **Beginner Guppy Owner**
    ~2 psychodelic male guppies
    ~1 bronze cory, 1 pepper cory
    ~2 otociniclus
    ~3 asst. zebra danios

Unregistered Guest

Question How did it work out?

I just came across this post, and I would be very interested in hearing how your guppy is doing.... my daughter comes home from school with hers today. I sent in a plastic container with holes punched in the top (as requested on the permission slip), and we'll be stopping at a pet store on the way home. I see that the aquariums that they're using in school (plastic, rectangle, 8"L X 11.5"W X 8"H) is only $9.99. My daughter says they eat food that comes in a little clump that they squeeze to break up before putting it in (pellets?) She said that there is no pump or heater in the tanks at school, and that once the teacher took them out and changed the water. They have guppies (who are breeding... not sure how many by now), snails, and plants in their aquariums.

Since your post is from May, I'm kind of hoping your child's "class project" has been home for a month now - would love to hear how it's worked out for someone in the same situation as me!

I keep expectant mommy guppies in 1 gal. jars for weeks at a time. I don't use a filter. Just once a day I use a turkey baster to clean off the bottom of the jar. If the bottom is clean after just removing a small amount of the water, I keep drawing water from the bottom until draw out 10-20%. I then replace it with water conditioned with Amquel+, Prime, etc. Be sure the replacement water is somewhere close to the same temperature as the tank water. That's all I do, and it seems to work fine. Also, I'm assuming the water coming from the school has already cycled. If not, refer above to the Guppy Care Sheet Sheet by Sabinoesque. Also, there is tons of info on cycling on this forum. Go to the main page of Forums and read the Water Specifications and Aquarium Maintenance sections. Best of luck. Enjoy your fish, but let me warn you it can be addictive. Most of us just started with a few guppies and a small tank. Now, we have tanks everywhere we can put them and are looking for more. LOL
    Last edited by sam8ps; June 10th-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Unregistered Guest

Red face

I was the original poster asking for help and I noticed someone was wondering how it was going. The guppy is doing fine but I am still having problems with the water. It is so cloudy all the time. I change the water but it stays pretty cloudy. I'm not sure how to change that but will try some of the things posted (like the turkey baster to clean out the bottom). Also there is occasionally food on the bottom so I probably was overfeeding a little. I will feed it less and see how it goes. Thanks for everyone's comments and help!

Unregistered Guest

Red face

As of now the fish bowl and fish are doing great. No more cloudy water! We didn't get a filter or anything and everything finally cleared up. We do hope to get another guppy to put in with ours now!

With no filter or aeration, I would recommend daily siphoning/vacuuming and water changes in such a small bowl. This is basically to prevent a cycle, but the fish does well as the ammonia is neutralised daily by the water conditioner. My fry spend their first couple of weeks like this with no filter, but they do have aeration and a heater.

+ Reply to Thread