+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tanks size for guppies?

riotfox Guest

tanks size for guppies?

my little brother wants fish, and he was thinking maybe guppies. what size of tank would he need? and how many guppies?

What I would do is go to a Petco, Petsmart or a Superpet store and pick up a 10 Gallon starter set that comes with the tank light and filter which are rather inexpensive and maybe 4 or 5 guppies. If he is going the breed them so they have babies then maybe get 2 males and 3 females. If he won't have any interest in doing that see if you can buy all males since they are more colorful and may peak his interest. Maybe a couple of plastic/silk plants that the pet store might sell and a couple of little decorations but they are not necessary Those are for aesthetics only. Any help he needs just let us know.

If you don't cycle the tank and he wants to get it up and running right away I might only start with a couple of fish and add the others a couple of weeks later.

If you would like to know more about cycling a tanks I know there is a thread on this which is nothing more then keeping your Ammonia (fish waste) Nitrates and Nitrites in check. You can pick up a kit (API) which I use when I keep a large number of fish in a smaller tank then what is suitable for them.

We are here to answer any questions you may have. Paul
    Location-Pennsylvania
    1 - 40 Gallon Bowfront Community Tanks
    2 - 20 Gallon Male/Female Tank - Seperated
    1 - 10 Gallon
    European Lace
    1 - 5 Gallon Sick Tank
    1 - 5 Gallon Cobra Tank
    1 - 5 Gallon Blue AOC
    1 - 2 1/2 Fry Tank
    6 - 1 Gallon Fry & or Delivery tanks

I think Walmart *may* have those kits for cheaper. Check around for the best price. They've got kits for 10, 20, 29 and 55 I believe. I'd stick to 10 or 20 if I were you...you can keep plenty of guppies in there eventually after it is all set up. Another alternative for start up supplies could be craigslist or your local freecycle.com webpage. I see people giving set-ups away for next to nothing all the time...if that fails I agree with Paul's suggestion. The Petco kits are pretty nice and DO save you some bucks here and there

I'd start small like Paul suggested. In fact, I'd only add one or two fish at first.
    However, make sure the tank is CYCLED before you and bro go pick out fish. You can cycle tanks in a number of ways (googlefu is your friend) but I like buying some live plants and tossing in a product like "Stability" that has nitrosomas that will get your tank cycle started. Tanks take MONTHS to fully establish themselves, and during this period it is normal to have casualties. Just add fish carefully and in no time you'll have a busy tank that is really pretty, relatively low maintenance and has pretty low up keep costs. I also should add that if you start seeing odd die off, tempting as it may be, don't go out and buy replacements. Tell the LFS you want a raincheck when you bring in bodies for a refund. Make sure you fix problems as they arise and you won't really have more trouble. Cycling is easy, fairly fast and will get you on the road to having a healthier tank overall. I speak from experience, I have NEVER had a tank that wasn't properly set up get off on the right start. (This means inexplicable deaths for weeks after initially setting it up...overall a very bad experience).

As Paul said, you want to be careful about those 3 toxins that are part of the biological process and build up over time. (The following numbers are all measured in PPM, or parts per million):
    NH4 should always be 0, NO2 should always be 0 but NO3 SHOULD be from 10-40. Most LFS think 40 is too high, but I've heard of people that keep it higher. Most of mine are at 40 and I have no problems. Nitrates only begin accumulating once your tank is established (within a few weeks). To lower nitrates (and any other of the toxins that build up) do a water change. pH is a really important factor too, just make sure it stays pretty constant. Jungle Labs make a 5-in-1 test kit that you just dip in the water and it gives you readings in 30 seconds (1 minute for Nitrate). (This test doesn't have the ammonia test on the strip; it requires a different testing method and is sold separately). OR, you can just go with the drop test kits which do about 250 tests per kit (vs the 25 strips in the Jungle Labs test kit). They're cheaper and more accurate but more time consuming. Pick out whichever you think will suit your needs best.

You'll want a tank, hood, filter, water dechlorinator test kit/strips, fish net, food, stand...perhaps a heater depending on your location. Some people like to use salt in their tanks (aquarium salt, NOT IONIZED!) You might also want to have a small allotment of money set aside in case you should need medicine. You can always come on here to ask questions though of course You can do a bare-bottom set up, but for a show-y tank I suggest getting some gravel (and live plants of course!) If you want some easy beginner plants, get yourself some java moss and java fern. Crypts are also lovely and pretty low maintenance (though they might melt their leaves off at first; this is normal and they grow back in a few days).
    If you master those, move up to Swords. Course the plants will appreciate a product like Flourish that provides them with essential ions/polyatomic ions that they wouldn't get normally. Plants like swords which develop deficiencies in iron will greatly appreciate this step, but it isn't required for the other plant I mentioned.

Honestly, you're going to find that a lot of fish keeping is personal preference and trial/error.

Welcome, and have fun with your set up!
    Last edited by Sanda; June 13th-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    GOT COLUMNARIS? HYDROGEN PEROXYIDE SAVES LIVES! *<-read this and that->*
    Want to find out more about Flexibacter columnaris? Click here!
    Any Questions? Comments? Concerns? Need Help? Feel free to PM or E-MAIL me, or any other mod/admin!
    Hey Katie: I hope you all know, it is my life goal to make this website www.guppiesPWNcichlids.com
    I love my quaker parrots, cockatiel, parakeet, longhaired chis, and fish... but my favorite animal will always be my Homo sapien Sherief !

Riotfox Guest
    thanks very much guys! i think he has decided to go with a fighter fish instead though. which im sorta glad about because im pretty confident in helping him out with that, as i have one myself . thanks heaps for your well thoughr out answers!

hey if i was you i think walmarts tank setups are cheaper but i wouldnt recommend fish from walmart. they usually are sick.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. ~Mohandas Gandhi~<
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.
    ~Plato~

Quote Originally Posted by Riotfox View Post
    thanks very much guys! i think he has decided to go with a fighter fish instead though. which im sorta glad about because im pretty confident in helping him out with that, as i have one myself . thanks heaps for your well thoughr out answers!
    I hope you keep yours in a tank haha
    Not a problem; might be better for a first time fish keeper anyway. I think a lot of people start that way Have fun,
    GOT COLUMNARIS? HYDROGEN PEROXYIDE SAVES LIVES! *<-read this and that->*
    Want to find out more about Flexibacter columnaris? Click here!
    Any Questions? Comments? Concerns? Need Help? Feel free to PM or E-MAIL me, or any other mod/admin!
    Hey Katie: I hope you all know, it is my life goal to make this website www.guppiesPWNcichlids.com
    I love my quaker parrots, cockatiel, parakeet, longhaired chis, and fish... but my favorite animal will always be my Homo sapien Sherief !

i would get a 10 gal have it heavily planted and have 1 male 1 female so u dont get overpopulated fast and the female will still have places to hide

Best thing to do for an avarage/begining fish keeper is to get only males. If you just get males you won't have to worry about more fish and you won't have to get more tanks or kill the fish you have.
    1 Cat: Bengal - Lance | 1 Dog: Basset/Lab - Alexander | 55 gal Freshwater - Gorami & semi-aggressive, planted | 55 gal Freshwater - Shoal Tank | 29 gal Saltwater - mated pair of Maroon Clownfish | 29 gal Freshwater - Oscar | 26 gal Freshwater - Guppies | 14 gal Saltwater - invertebrates | 10 gal Saltwater - Firefish & Coral | 10 gal Freshwater - Red Cherry Shrimp | 1 Husband

+ Reply to Thread