Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting a 10 gallon community tank

What type of Platies are they? All the yellow/light-colored Platies (like Yellow Twinbars) that I've ever owned have had red-looking gills...even my pale orange mickey-face Platy fry have red gills (but the gup fry in the same tank don't...), so I don't know...

Okay-your tank has been set up for about 4 days now, I'm assuming...
    Since you only have three fish in a 10 gallon, it may take a few more days for the ammonia to spike. I would only do your water changes maybe every OTHER day for now... Your tank needs to keep much of the bacteria being produced by the fish in it to begin the cycling process properly...
    20 gal:
    -4 male guppies
    -3 jullii cory cats
    -2 clown loaches
    -7 neon tetras

10 gal:
    -about 15 guppy
    -1 baby african dwarf frog

10 gal:
    -1 male guppy
    -1 chinese algae eater
    -2 ghost glass catfish
    -2 male platies

10 gal:
    -1 male guppy
    -1 red-tailed shark
    -5 zebra danios

Other pets include...
    -2 Border Collies: Buddy and Khoda
    -1 horse: Melanie
    -2 cats: Hunt and Princess
    -1 rabbit: Sunny (hopefully getting him a buddy soon-his "brother" died not too long ago...)

Thanks, cinder. So the red gills are somewhat normal. *phew* I have two platies (male and female) that are transparent irridescent "white" with black spots and one blue female irridescent platy. The red on the blue platy seems muted. On the white platies the gills seem very red/pink. The thing is, I saw platies at a Petco (I know, Petco ) that were orange and yellow and their gills didn't seem that red. But I guess my platies show their gill color more?

I changed out about 10% of the water last night. The platies seem active when food comes and even when I do the water change they seem to swim up to the current and play in it. But then there are moments when they just sit at the bottom of the tank and do nothing. Or they huddle together. And their fins are all clamped up. They weren't clamped when I first bought them and put them in the tank. Any clues???

Good news! The temp went down drastically in the area and the heater did not compensate as well as it should have for the change and the temperature in the tank went down a bit (it was hovering around 80 degrees) to about 76 or 77 degrees. The platies seem happier than they've been in some time. I'm wondering if 80 degrees is just too hot for them? Or maybe they are starting to get used to life in the new tank? So far no dark gravid spots so I suspect no fry on the way any time in the immediate future.

Thumbs up

My platies are content! I purchased live plants: cabomba, anacharis, etc. and installed an undergravel filter. I had large rocks on the bottom of the tank and my platies did not seem very happy before. Their fins have unclamped and they are swimming freely and happily. I hope to have platy babies on the way soon.

I have just buy my 10 gal fish tank kit. I keep some Guppies in the tank, I'm waiting for my tank fully cycled before adding new fish. I don't know when the tank is fully cycled, can you help me?
    Last edited by supperfish; June 2nd-2017 at 03:10 AM.
    I am Super, I have a 10 gallon fish tank with some Guppies, a planted aquarium LED light, a 10 gallon fish tank filter and an aquarium heater. I stock the tank with only shrimps and snails.

Get a test kit, when the ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 then your tank is cycled. You should have some reading for nitrate. It takes about a month for the tank to be cycled, give and take. Be vigilant in the first few weeks, as you might do somethings inadvertently and throw off the cycle. Don't clean your filter and do your water change on the same day, don't add too many fish at once-these and other things can cause an ammonia spike.
    LAKELAND, FL.
    TAMPA BAY AQUARIUM SOCIETY

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting,
    but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton