Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Plants For Fry to Hide?

Best Plants For Fry to Hide?

Greetings~ I was wondering with so many differint folks breeding what is your perffered plant for your baby guppies? Najas*/guppy grass seems to be popular but are there any others that are commonly used?
    Last edited by Goldenstar; February 8th-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Not ninja, Najas*
    Guppy Hobbyist ~ Slowly but surely building a better guppy tank!

najas* Java moss is also commonly used. Hornwort is good, watersprite is good. Anything with a lot of leaves for them to hide in.
    how did i get myself into this stuff ?

Well right now I have some lucky bamboo, but I know that wont hide much of anything XD so I'm looking for something that might match it fairly well :3 I'll look these up~ thanks

That is not a fully aquatic plant and it will rot if you leave it completely submersed, or even partly submersed. Only the bottom where the roots are should be surrounded by water.
    how did i get myself into this stuff ?

Yes, I am aware of this; I only have a few stalks that sit in a corner. 3/4 of the stalk are uncovered by water and I havnt had any issues with it :3

i use java moss, mainly because it grows with very little light

Java Moss is a nice one to use for fry and they are hardy plants. You can also try hornwort but you have to treat them properly or it's gonna be a mess in your tank when they start to die. Now I stop using plants I just have tanks/plastic tubs setup for drop off and I create my own plastic mesh cage where I put my preggy ones.

The Best and easiest plant for fry is Java Moss.

I have no problem with it growing ever and Java Moss provides excellent hiding places for even the youngest fry!
    >>>>>>>>>>> I LOVE GUPPIES!! <<<<<<<<<<<
    You only know what you have yet to learn.

Blog Entries
    I like java too! the more hidey holes the better in my book... but u have to chk things out a lot to make sure tht noones gone missing and is polluting the tank with their decomposition.
    Contact direct @ ciccas_world@yahoo.com Cheers! =)

hmm many votes for java moss, but they seem kinda messy D: Ohh! on that note where might be a good place to buy some aquatic plants? I am well aware of ebay and aquabid - but are there any hidden spots anyone might like to share?...

Might work with water sprite (I hear it can grow like crazy though)

Looking at google I seen some that are pretty nice, but i dont know how well they'd do.

Ludwigia inclinata
    Lloydiella
    Cryptocoryne

?....