Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Plants For Fry to Hide?

Yeah and probably co2
    how did i get myself into this stuff ?

yea I'v noticed that too; I'm porbably in the end going to just stick with the ones people say are hard to kill... heh...
    Guppy Hobbyist ~ Slowly but surely building a better guppy tank!

A few of the plant suggestions are not really appropriate for the OP. I do agree that java moss is great for this purpose. Guppy grass (najas) works very well, but I found it to be such a nuisance that I eradicated every strand, and now I keep none. It grows into a wild mess all through the tank. It is however a great fry saving plant, and being a fast grower keeps the water clean very well. Just don't keep it in a beautifully landscaped planted display tank (messy). The two best IMHO are java moss and najas. Other than that hornwort and floating mess of elodea work acceptably. I also like floating watersprite/indian-fern as it keeps the waters extra clean (technically floating plants are emmersed), and the tangle of leaves and roots gives them plenty of places to hide out. There are other plants too that may be used, even just about anything left floating in a clump. Also areas of densely planted stems that reach to the surface work well - elodea & watersprite work well this way too, but many others can also function this way too.

Very good to know Orangeguppy! thanks!

A couple more points.

Fry like to hang out near the water surface, and thus an important tip should also be mentioned, particularly with java moss. Try to keep some of your moss at the surface. It is actually quite easily done in many ways. One that I like to use is to make a sort of raft for the java moss to grow on draping in the water. A very simple one to make is to take a couple wooden popsicle sticks or wooden coffee stir sticks (I use them) or even bamboo skewers, or even twigs from a tree could work (strip bark if you can) and using elastic bands attach to wine bottle corks. You may use brand new corks, but even old ones from an actual bottle of wine will work. Then wrap some java moss around the stick and cork. Eventually the moss will attach itself to the wood/cork, and grow strands like a bad hairdo. As it ages it'll become an awesome fry saver. If you start with plenty of java moss wrapped around the stick it should work for you from day one. Position it near the side of the tank so as not to shade the plants below - it may be anchored to the side by tying fishing line to a suction cup, or you can maybe tape the string to the dry section of the tank on top.

The crypts, lucky bamboo, and some of the other "suggestions", though nice plants for your tank

BRB to finish this post shortly
    Last edited by OceanGuppy; February 11th-2011 at 12:14 AM.

I have some lucky bamboo I could tie it to, maybe get some sort of thingy going... I thought about getting a larger buhhda figure, maybe it be funny to tie some to his head.. XDD

My tank isnt very tall (but it's very long; it's a bookshelf tank) so figuring out a way to get it closer to the top will be easy (also this will be an all guppy tank aside from a scum eater XD)

also I don't know if it would mean anything but i thought i'd mention I use river pepples rocks for my gravel (my lucky bamboo wouldnt stay put with normal rock and this fits my zen much better)

crypts look very nice! I may consitter that as well

swords would work too. and anubias...

Ok, back to finish my last post. Got interrupted with a phone call, then after that kids. Just submitted my partial post so as not to lose it.

So I started writing: The crypts, lucky bamboo, and some of the other "suggestions", though nice plants for your tank...
    ... are not appropriate plants for the OP question, which is about what kinds of plants make good fry savers.

Sorry but swords and anubias, though lovely plants for sure, will not save a fry's life. Same with crypts, bamboo, and many other ornamental (& functional in other ways) plants.

Remember, what makes a plant a fry saver is that it has many hiding places, and smaller passage ways that make it hard for a larger fish to pursue it. Good luck that a big fat momma will be able to catch up to a fry in guppy grass (najas). Again, keeping the reason just explained in mind, java moss, and guppy grass (najas) are ideal, then in second place would be the other plants I mentioned above.

Also observe your tanks. How often do you see the fry hanging out near the bottom? It does happen, but rather infrequently. Usually they are at the top. That is where you need your fry saving plant to be located, like I mentioned in an earlier post.

Tip:

Rereading my post 2 above I thought to elaborate upon the raft. I like using two sticks to make the raft a little bit wider (not very much wider). Also if you put out another stick & cork at a right angle (and easily anchored in a corner of the tank) you can get a stable enough platform to put a few small plants to grow emersed (java ferns work great like this, as well as others, like crypts, anubias, etc.) I made some pictures as I made one before as I thought to create a thread about it, but never got around to it. But the main point is to grow a clump of java moss that floats near the top. I'm sure you could make as big a "raft" as you want by making a square, and filled in with a few rungs inside the square, drape over java moss, and have a fantastic fry saver. Once the java moss grows in natural looking it should look great! But again beware that it will shade the tank below, so if you keep plants then keep your raft to the side of the tank.

I never claimed those plants were fry savers, and I never recommended lucky bamboo at all. I made it clear java moss was the best for that. Golden star seems to also want to decorate the tank with a zen theme, so there is nothing wrong with having other easy to care for plants in there as well as some functional java moss. I suspect the large stones will help fry hide as well. Water sprite I definitely recommend as well, it is great for fry. I have that and java moss in my female tank and it gets tangled together so it makes the moss stay at the top.