Thread: Can someone tell me what an Endler is?

Can someone tell me what an Endler is?

I am confused about guppy verses endler. I am getting a Trio of Red Albinos and a Trio of Blue Grass. I think they are guppies, but now I am not sure if they are going to be guppies or endlers and how can I tell? I had never heard of endlers until joining this forum. Thanks everyone in advance!

Hi, I hope I explain this correctly, endlers are the true wild original version of a guppie, found in the wild, they have now been breed and mixed so they are more colorful and have different patterns then their distant relatives but are still not like fancy guppies, which also came from endlers in the very begging, but through very high tech selective breeding programs have brought about the fancy guppies we have today. We owe a huge thanks you to all the people who did all the breeding to get the beautiful breeds of fancy guppies we have today! The fish you ordered are nice fancy guppies not endlers, so dont worry. You selected some very nice breeds of guppies ! Good luck with them!

Thank you Sassyguppie, you did a very good job at explaining this to me. I am very excited to get my guppy trios. I ordered them from Joanne and Fraser Davis in Ontario. We are just waiting for the weather to warm up for the overnight shipping. My tanks are set up and now I wait.

The waiting is the hard part! I wish you many fry to raise and enjoy! Hopefully Spring is here now!

Endlers are a subspecies of guppies. There are wild guppies and endlers are from s few small remote areas. They arent sure if they are the same species. But techinally they are not guppies. They are another livebearer in the poeicillia family. Poecillia wingei
    They are smaller than wild guppies and their main volors are orange and black. While wild guppies are pink and purple.

Okay, so the feeder guppies? they sell that look like endlers are not endlers? I guess Im confused, what does a wild guppie look like? The pics I saw they looked like endlers?? I stand very heavily corrected by matt68046, Ive had dealing with guppies that look like endlers since I was a kid, and thats allot of years, they looked just like endlers, but were called guppies when we bought them early 70s when I was like 6, wasnt until the late 70s my parent got what today are called fancy guppies. But the ones that look like endlers back then were also considered guppies. So I assumed they were the same lineage, just selective breed for better colors and tails. Im going to do some research, and I apologize for misinformation, will do some reading!

Guppy vs endler

Poecillia Reticulata
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wild guppy.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	21424
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Endlers livebearers.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	21425

Poecillia Wingei

Ive bought fish like that called guppies and called endlers, so that where its confusing to me.

Clarification on Endlers

Quote Originally Posted by sassyguppie View Post
    Hi, I hope I explain this correctly, endlers are the true wild original version of a guppie, found in the wild, they have now been breed and mixed so they are more colorful and have different patterns then their distant relatives but are still not like fancy guppies, which also came from endlers in the very begging, but through very high tech selective breeding programs have brought about the fancy guppies we have today. We owe a huge thanks you to all the people who did all the breeding to get the beautiful breeds of fancy guppies we have today! The fish you ordered are nice fancy guppies not endlers, so dont worry. You selected some very nice breeds of guppies ! Good luck with them!
    Endlers are considered closely related to Guppies but were not the original wild guppies that were used to create the modern day fancy guppies. I'm a Registered N Class Endler Breeder. There is more information on my website: The Endler Shop: http://Endlers1.com

I do have to go with the story of Joseph7787. Endlers ain't the original wild version of the fancy guppies which we are nowadays familiar with. To be honest, wild endlers don't have to be smaller than wildguppies. That depends on the strain itself of both kinds. Even the story about the colours differences between willdguppy and endler ain't correct. Again, it depends on which strain you're speaking of.
    Devoted aquarist ever since early 1970's...
    Breeder of rare livebearers...
    Special focus on wildtype guppies, wildguppies and endlers...