Thread: Plants For Hard Water?

Plants For High Ph?

I'm new to this forum so hi guys,
    Just a little background, I have been keeping guppies for about five years now, but I have always kept them " my way ". My main goal is to keep full reds, and I have gotten a few strains of full reds from Thailand, Taiwan and Singapore. I also keep platinum full whites.
    So, my Ph is 8.2, so pretty high, I've noticed that many plants do not do well under high ph, duckweed for example would always melt on me, the root turning brown first, then the leaves turning yellow... Is there any way to cure this? Am I doing anything wrong?
    Water perimeters:
    Ph: 8.2- naturally hard water levels in my city.
    Ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 20ppm
    no salt in the water. Lights on 14 hours a day...

I like the look of duckweed in my tanks but I can never survive well, and having 10+ tanks, cleaning dead duckweed is horrible... So what are some good floating plants for higher ph waters? What are some good bunching/bushy plants good for higher ph? I currently keep Java moss, hornswort, Java fern, and water lettuce...

thanks!
    Last edited by DY14; January 22nd-2016 at 02:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've found out that out here (in Arizona where we have extremely hard water) they tend to do just fine. Even Amazon swords, vals, crypts, etc. seem to grow like weeds for me if given enough nutrients and light. You may want to change the title from "hard water" to "high pH" since hard water doesn't always mean that the water is high in it's pH values.

Try out water wisteria, corkscrew vals, moneywort, banana plant, and a few others do very well in high pH (at least to my testing they have done well). What types of browning are you experiencing? Try uploading a photo since it may not be due to pH but a lack of another type of nutrient that they require.

Ok,I changed the title. How do you add pictures? The duckweed always seem to grow algae like things on its roots, a fine coating of it. The roots then turn from white to brown, the they startloosing them. Then the smallest leaves turn translucent and start floating around.

Blog Entries
    I know that after adding in the new plants they will melt, but when the roots change color that's a bad sign (normally just the leaves fall off, turn brown, steam looks dead, etc.). To add photos I think you hit "Go Advanced" and then it has an attachment option in that editor. You can't add photos through the quick reply sadly.
    FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase

Ok thanks!