Thread: Feeding Guppies

Feeding Guppies

I have 3 new guppies and 3 new ghost shrimp. I read in a forum that you should feed your guppies 3-4 times a day, is this true? I've been feeding my guppies twice a day once in the morning (flake food) and in the evening (bloodworms). I feed my guppy in a seperate tank twice a day as well, is this ok too?

Girlofthestars

Dog (Jack Russell) - Zach
    1 Betta - Sam
    3 Guppies
    3 Ghost Shrimp
    Husband - Jim lol

I also feed my guppies twice a day. Only because I do not want to um, well... Overfeed them.
    29 Gallon Guppy Tank
    Guppies, Gotta Love 'em

Quote Originally Posted by tim mcdonnell
    I also feed my guppies twice a day. Only because I do not want to um, well... Overfeed them.
    thats funny you won't overfeed them if you feed smaller portions more frequentley I sometimes feed week old fry 5 times a day the rest of my fish get 4 times a day this also helps promote growth in fry hope this helps you to you can feed 2 times a day but three is better

Quote Originally Posted by guppyart
    thats funny you won't overfeed them if you feed smaller portions more frequentley I sometimes feed week old fry 5 times a day the rest of my fish get 4 times a day this also helps promote growth in fry hope this helps you to you can feed 2 times a day but three is better
    Maybe better for your schedule/guppy growth... I also feed my gups 2-3 times a day, just because I'm not home during the day. Many people have many different ways of feeding their guppies, so just do what's right to fit your schedule, etc. Hope I helped!
    ~Corinne
    It all started with 2 guppies, Milo and Otis

10 Gallon
    2 Australian Rainbowfish- Fatso and Dummy
    2 adult guppies- Hayden (male) Padme (female)
    !!14 BABY GUPPIES!!
    5 Gallon
    2 white clouds- Ace and Bingo

Check out The Sky's The Limit!

Feeding them twice is fine, thats how much i feed mine. You will want to feed your fry more often, like 5-6 times a day.
    There is a such thing as to many guppies,
    But you can never have enough bettas.
    In fond memory of red hot.
    Trinity

I feed my gups once in the evning
    GUPPIES, THEY ARE MY HERO.
    WHAT WOULD ANYONE DO WITHOUT GUPPIES.
    I MEAN THEIR FRY ARE SO CUTE
    UNLESS THEY GET EATEN.

Hero---A blue guppy---Died ---12/14/04

DAVE

feeding guppies

twice is ok,im in the same boat but 3 or 4 times a day would have their metabolism be more normal and healthy because in the wild guppies eat a little bit of food at a time all day,(such as tiny bugs and algae) but if you can feed your guppies only 2x a day don't worry about it

or if u can get ur hands on some java moss itll help ^^ thats wat i find with fry and adult guppies if i dont feed them they go and chew on the java moss for there algae
    20gallon planted:bacopa australis ,ranalisma rostrata,polygonum sp sao paulo,java fern "narrow leaf",taiwan moss,hemigraphis sp pantanal,ludwigia sp cuba,rotala sp vietnam,rotala sp goias. color of my plants.

Sometimes I feed them 3 or 4 times a day, sometimes I don't feed for two or three days.. On average though, twice a day on qaulity food..

Regards..
    Save an animal, eat a PETA member!

I think this varies depending on who you ask. I was told by the Pet Store that you should only feed your fish once a day. The clerk said that I would be doing more harm than good to do it more often than that because overfeeding builds up nitrates (waste) in the water. However, when I walk towards the tank and the little beggars jet to the top to see if Mom is going to feed them I break down...I am weak. I feed them on the average 2-3X a day. The babies in the 2.5 gal get fed around 4X a day since they are growing. Both tanks get just enough so they can eat everything in about two minutes. I do a 30% water change/gravel vac twice a week as a result of my overfeeding but all of my fish seem happy with that. If they are happy, I am happy